Saturday 19 May 2012

Healing water

I had a comforting dream the other night.
I dreamt that I had some important news to share with my friend, Sam.
We were walking in some wooded countryside on a warm, sunny day. The birds were singing, colours were vivid and it was very peaceful.
As we approached a wide stream that babbled happily along, I asked Sam to remove her shoes which she did at once. The woods had receded and the sun was shining brightly on the water. We waded into the stream which sang and skipped about us. 
It was time to tell Sam about the tragedy that had befallen us. Although not too wide, the stream stretched as far as the eye could see to the right and to the left. I quickly outlined the facts but was desperate to to explain the baby's final journey. I looked to my right and pointed upstream.
"This is our place. We put baby into his crib and gently pushed it into the flow of water. He came floating down toward us." As I was telling Sam, I could picture the fine details. My daughter and her partner were standing on the bank further up but beginning to walk down towards us. Baby's siblings were playing on the bank behind me.
" As he drew level, we had the most amazing feeling of peace." This last act of devotion to our small boy was absolutely the right thing to do. I could sense that he, too, was experiencing well-being and the fiercest, deepest kind of love from our communal heart.
Then came the strangest urge to plunge into the water to be with him. The children were jumping in and splashing around happily, calling to their youngest brother and wishing him love forever from them, making it alright for him to continue on his journey as he would never be alone. Then I was in the water, too, and I felt up-lifted, calm and serene. It was the most exquisite place to be; a place of knowing. I looked around and we were all in the water, all smiling, all with a deeper understanding, all of us linked forever to this moment in time.
Then he had drifted past us, effortlessly gliding toward his future; our future, and we waved him on, safe and sound once more. 
Even though I knew this was a dream, I was so pleased to be able to share this experience with my friend...and when I see her tomorrow, I shall tell her.


The meaning of the dream is fairly obvious. It's an acceptance of the grief of bereavement and the acknowledgement of the loving family unit. The dream incorporated the past, present and future with the stream. A running river symbolizes moving toward a goal. The water was clear and gentle. Water also depicts spirituality which enfolded us all; allowing the strong emotion and healing power of our love to work as one force and heal us all.
As for having Sam in the dream, I think it's because she is going through her own private trauma just now and she needs to know that she'll come through it with the help of family and friends.

2 comments:

  1. What greater blessing may one friend offer another than support during times of overwhelming sadness? You and Sam are fortunate to enjoy that level of friendship, a thing not many find these days.

    The sweet thing about friendship is the sharing of all the life experiences which come to teach us the lessons we need to learn along the way; the good times and the not-so-good are all a part of the journey.

    I'm glad you and Sam have each other, and I am glad I have you.

    Life is truly good.

    Marge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam and I used to work together. She is 10 years my junior but we soon became firm friends. She has intelligence and a flair for life that is wonderfully individual. She's doing alright, is happier than she's been in a good many years and has her grown-up twins by her side. She hasn't let life get her down and I must say she was looking very glamorous when I saw her last week!

      Delete